Greece will participate in this European hackathon with #GreeceVsVirus, a national participation co-ordinated by the Ministry of Digital Governance, through two new initiatives aimed at highlighting innovative proposals and the rapid implementation of mature digital solutions that will directly support the National Health System in tackling the pandemic.
The National Documentation Centre (EKT) also supports this European action in its role as National Contact Point for Horizon 2020, as co-ordinator of the Enterprise Europe Network - Hellas consortium and as the Greek hub of EIT Health, the initiative of the European Institute of Innovation & Technology. It is estimated that 60,000 European citizens will take part in the first pan-European marathon for COVID-19.
The #EUvsVirus Hackathon will take place on 24, 25 and 26 April 2020 and will address approximately 20 impending challenges arising from the coronavirus (eg rapid equipment production, increased production capacity, transfer of knowledge and solutions from one country to another),with rapid growth and implementation across the single EU market. Registrations for the European hackathon have opened, with a deadline of April 19. As part of the hackathon, it will be possible to submit ideas and create groups in all EU languages. This means that there will be groups of individuals from different EU Member States or groups where participants come exclusively from one Member State.
EKT supports digital action against the pandemic
The COVID-19 pandemic caused by the new coronavirus has hit most of the planet, creating an unprecedented situation in which we are all called upon to adapt. Responding to the new conditions, EKT has set up a website to provide valid information for the research community and anyone interested in the development of scientific research to combat the pandemic. EKT also provides ongoing support for businesses, individuals and organisations, including:
- Information on financial opportunities in relation to digital solutions as National Contact Point for ICT Horizon 2020, following online testing of proposals before their submission
- Guidance on the use of online communication tools, including a list of the most common teleconferencing and project management tools.
- Strengthening of co-operation and networking by supporting participation in digital European platforms, virtual B2B meetings and global competitions such as the following:
- Care & Industry together against CORONA
- COVID-19: EIT Health connecting innovators
- Global Hack: An international digital movement against COVID-19
- virtual conference in Applied Artificial Intelligence
-Co-organisation & support for the following national initiatives:
- Antivirus Crowdhackathon, the first remote innovation marathon organised by the Region of Attica, with the support of the Ministry of Digital Governance, public institutions, and companies and collective entities)
- #HackCoronaGreece, April 7-13, 2020 (hackathon aimed at finding smart and immediately applicable solutions for the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic in Greece),
- COVID19 Response Greece, (open volunteers with tech and scientific background community - EKT as a mentor and supporter of this Initiative).