EKT is a key player in knowledge dissemination in Greece
The National Documentation Centre (EKT) is a public organisation that promotes knowledge, research, innovation and digital transformation. It was established in 1980 with funding from the United Nations Development Programme with the aim to strengthen the collection and distribution of research-related material, and to ensure full accessibility to it.
It has been designated as a National Scientific Infrastructure, a National Authority of the Hellenic Statistical System, and National Contact Point for European Research and Innovation Programmes. Since August 2019, it has been established as a discrete public-interest legal entity under private law, and is supervised by the Ministry of Digital Governance (Article 59 / Law 4623/2019, Government Gazette issue A' 134, 09/08/2019).
EKT is a Scientific Infrastructure and a National Authority of the Hellenic statistical system (Decision No. 7304/B2-576 Official Gazette B’ 3482/2017). As a digital and natural infrastructure of national scope its institutional role is to collect, organize and preserve the entire Greek scientific, research and cultural output (content and data) disseminating it at both national and global level.
By employing modern technology infrastructure, high level know-how and highly skilled personnel, EKT:
a) collects, documents and disseminates solid/eminent digital scientific and cultural content,
b) measures and monitors the Greek ecosystem of Research, Technology, Development, Innovation,
c) supports enterprises to network, to become extrovert and collaborate with the scientific community,
d) contributes actively in the national strategic planning for Open Science and Open Access,
e) supports the dissemination of knowledge in Greece and promotes the development of its human resources.
EKT has a state-of-the-art computer infrastructure and Datacenter, equipment for the digitization of various types of archives, digital libraries with both subscription and open content, electronic reading room open to the public, register infrastructure for the Greek research and development activity (expert personnel, system agencies, infrastructures, projects).
It is responsible for disseminating scientific and technological information to the entire scientific community and primarily to the research institutions of the National Hellenic Research Foundation. Moreover, it works closely with similar agencies and contributes to work groups of national and international organizations with regard to matters in its competency.
With the aim of supporting research and technology , we provide infrastructures and services for the use and dissemination of Greek scientific and cultural digital content, placing emphasis on open availability and the reuse of content. Our actions make digital information exploitable for users from a variety of communities which not only contributes effectively to the improvement of scientific and cultural productivity, but it also foster competitiveness in the public and private sectors. Priorities are based on three fundamental axes:
eContent- digital content & services
- EKT creates a single point of access for scientific and cultural content and provides access to reputable information sources, contributing to research, education and life-long learning.
- It documents scientific and cultural content and disseminates the knowledge the country generates.
- It develops and provides access to the Greek National Archive of PhD Theses, the National Union Catalogue of Scientific Journals and Ιndexes of Greek scientific journals.
- It provides also content organisations with public services, highlighting the wealth of Greek knowledge in the digital public space.
- It participate in national networks and European initiatives focusing on the development of a single open research environment, and it is the national aggregator for Europeana.
Μetrics - Indicators & statistics for Research, Technology, Development, Innovation
- EKT produces the official RDI statistics and indicators, as a National Authority and Agency of the Hellenic Statistical System and collaborate with ELSTAT, Eurostat and the OECD.
- It collects data on Research & Development, Business Innovation, Greek scientific publications and research activities in European programmes.
- It carries out and publish studies that enable the understanding of the national research and innovation system.
- It maps the highly skilled human resources and highlight the results of their activity
Innovation - services for networking, partnerships, growth
- EKT provides information on funding opportunities for research teams and businesses.
- It offers guidance on participation in research projects and support collaboration on research, technology and entrepreneurship.
- It contributes to the exploitation of research results, linking research and business.
- It undertakes technology audits for enterprises and provide mediation for technology transfer.
- It also networks Greeks around the world and contributes to their reconnection with the country through the "Knowledge and Partnership Bridges" initiative.