The issues and challenges regarding how the country can utilise innovative business ideas, the high quality human resources of Greece and how to attract more investments in the field of research and development, were the subject of the Hellenic Innovation Forum & Awards 2021 held on Friday, November 19, 2021, under the auspices of the National Documentation Centre (EKT). At the same time, through the Hellenic Innovation Awards, the event highlighted the people and companies that contribute to making innovation a key pillar in the development of the economy. The keynote speaker at the event was Dr. Evi Sachini, Director of the National Documentation Centre (EKT).
Dr. Evi Sachini, in her presentation on innovation in Greece and the role of EKT, stated: 'We are part of the domestic innovation ecosystem, we have been active for about 30 years with participations at the international level.' She also mentioned that Greece has climbed to a satisfactory position, in relation to other EU countries and that if one sees the evolution over time, the country shows a systematic increase in innovative companies. 'When we measure innovation, we measure using a strict framework, with rules.' The Director of EKT presented detailed data and indicators on the Greek innovation system, the Research & Development activities of Greek companies and their innovative performance, as well as their progress towards digital transformation
Watch the full presentation of Dr. Evi Sachini in the following video (in Greek).
During the event, honorary distinctions were awarded to Mr. Christos Dimas, PhD, Deputy Minister of Development & Investments (Research & Innovation) and Mr. Markos Veremis, Co-Founder & Chairman of the Upstream Board, Partner in BigPi Venture, for their contribution to the Greek innovation ecosystem.
Mr. Giannis Tsakiris, Deputy Minister of Development and Investments, spoke about the next day in the field of innovation during his speech at the beginning of the conference, pointing out the important results that the Jeremie and Equifund programmes have brought. 'We will direct money to fill the gap in the new efforts, that is, in those that are in their infancy. Approximately 20 million euros will be awarded in this direction through the Business Angels co-investment fund. To the aforementioned financial instruments we should add the special fund Accelerate TT, of the Hellenic Development Investment Bank (formerly TANEO), which, from March will be endowed with initial funds of 60 million euros for the financing of venture capital funds', said Mr. Tsakiris.
In his speech, Mr. Christos Dimas, Deputy Minister of Research &Technology, presented the three objectives of the Ministry of Development for research and technology. 'We have adopted an important policy, in terms of tax incentives, with super-deductions, making Greece one of the most attractive destinations in the EU', he stressed. The second objective concerns the evolution of research into innovation and entrepreneurship, while the third objective concerns the linking of the fragmentation of the innovation ecosystem.
During the Hellenic Innovation Forum & Awards 2021, interesting speeches were given by representatives of financial institutions and funds, heads of research teams and companies, as well as representatives of business associations and the academic community, presenting their own vision, path and aspirations for the ecosystem in Greece.
At the same time, through the Hellenic Innovation Awards, the event highlighted the people and companies that contribute to making innovation a key pillar in the development of the economy. Members of the awards panel were prominent personalities from the institutional and business world, including Argyris Peroulakis, Chairman of the EKT Board.The winners of the Hellenic Innovation Awards 2021 (per company) were:
- OPAP-Bespot - Top HI Award for Innovative Company >100 employees Award for best innovative company with > 100 employees
- Owiwι - Top HI Award for Greek Startup
- Αdvent Technologies - Top HI Award for Innovative Company <100 employees
- HairCG.TV – Hair Community Greece (3 awards)- Top HI Award for Innovative Company <100 employees | HI Award for Business Model – <100 employees | HI Award for Business Growth – <100 employees
- Software Competitiveness International (2 awards) | Top HI Award for Innovative Company <100 employees | HI Award for HR & Employees Development – <100 employees
- Nosileia tora (2 awards) | HI Award for Business Model – Startups | HI Award for Business Growth – Startups
- VentureFriends VC (2 awards) | HI Award for Series A Funding | HI Award for VC Impact
- VARVARESSOS S.A. EUROPEAN SPINNING MILLS - HI Award for Business Model >100 employees
- ΝBG Business Seeds - HI Award for the Promoting Innovation Ecosystem
- Dialectica - HI Award for HR & Employees Development – >100 employees
- Envolve Entrepreneurship - HI Award for Ιnitiative with Broad Impact
- GIZELIS ROBOTICS S.A. - HI Award for Extroversion – >100 employees
- JUST SOLUTIONS - HI Award for Business Model – Startups
- nvisionist - HI Award for Business Model – <100 employees
- PCN MATERIALS - HI Award for Business Model – Startups
- Pfizer Eλλάς Α.Ε. - HI Award for Investing in R&D
- PTL - HI Award for Business Model – <100 employees
- Samsung Electronics Hellas - HI Award for Investing in Greek Innovative Ideas
- SUNLIGHT - HI Award for Business Growth – >100 employees
- erracom S.A. - HI Award for Extroversion – <100 employees
- egg - enter•grow•go - HI Award for Best Incubator/Accelerator
The Hellenic Innovation Forum & Awards 2021 was organised by ethosEVENTS in collaboration with the financial and business portal banks.com.gr and the magazine XRHMA.The online event was held with LiveOn technology, from its innovative 3D exhibition and conference centre, LiveOn Expo Complex.